Here are some June landscaping tips to keep in mind as we head into the summer months.
- Make sure your irrigation system is up and running properly. June is the beginning of the watering months as we head out of the storm season and into the long hot days of summer.
- Spring bulbs are finished blooming for the year. These may now be cut off at the ground and allow them to dry naturally.
- June is a great time to begin composting. Cut off flowers, lawn clippings or any material that will decompose makes great additions to your compost bin. Placing compost at the base of your shrubs and trees will help reduce watering needs.
- Start mowing your lawn slightly higher to reduce stress from harsh summer conditions.
- June is a busy time for insects, keep an eye out for these pest before they do damage to your plants.
- Slugs come out in full force during wet conditions, if you notice chewed holes in your plant leaves, you can use an organic slug bait to keep these pest under control.
- June is a great time to divide your perennials, you can do this to help thin them out and place in other areas where more coverage is needed.