Landscaping is a part of your home, just like your wall colors, flooring, roofing and more. Most landscape designs are relatively timeless, but that doesn’t mean they last forever. You may need to spruce up your landscaping every few years to improve your property and address issues you’ve experienced. Here are some tips to determine when you need new landscaping.
Signs It’s Time for a New Landscape Design
It’s difficult to say when landscaping needs to be redone because it varies so much from house to house. You may have a rich, well-maintained garden that has been around for decades. Then again, you may have struggled to keep your landscaping alive for the past several growing seasons. If you fit into the following categories, it’s probably time for a new landscape design:
- Your plants aren’t thriving in their current placement. At Berns Landscaping, we use the “right plant, right place” approach for everything we do. We factor in sun exposure, soil content, surrounding plants, and much more to select the perfect plants for each part of the property.
- Your landscaping is difficult to maintain. Perhaps you enjoyed high-maintenance landscaping years ago but no longer have time for the upkeep. We can swap out select plants for low-maintenance options, while still preserving the beauty of your property.
- Your landscaping was damaged during a storm or other event. If your plants weren’t well protected in the winter, a long freeze may completely wipe them out. Consider an updated landscape design, complete with winter plant protection.
- You’ve updated other exterior elements (painted your siding, changed your trim color, got new gutters, etc.). If you change the way your house looks, your landscape design may not match the new aesthetic. Upgrade to coordinating colors and plants that accentuate key focal points.
- Your personal style has changed. The truth is, you may not like the landscaping you loved years ago. That’s perfectly fine! We can make adjustments that fit your current style.
Do I Have to Redo All of My Landscaping?
Some landscape designers will ask you to start from scratch, but that usually isn’t necessary. If you have overgrown plants with flourishing root structures, you don’t have to get rid of them. We can renovate your existing plants and add/replace others to create a custom landscape design for your property. Best of all, you’ll still end up with the look of new landscaping, even if it’s mostly what you already had!
Completely Replace Your Mulch at Least Once a Year
New mulch can make a big difference in the health and appearance of your landscaping. Mulch beds should be completely replaced once per year, and then the mulch needs to be topped off periodically throughout the growing season.
Mulching is one of the many services we provide during our four-season landscape maintenance plans. As the mulch breaks down and feeds your plants, we add new mulch to the surface. When we replace the entire mulch bed, we cultivate the soil below for maximum nutrient penetration. This is the attention to details you can expect from Berns Landscaping time and time again.
Maintain Your Landscaping throughout the Year
Properly maintained landscaping doesn’t have to be redone often. With detailed pruning, fertilization and plant health monitoring, you can maximize the longevity of your plant materials. Berns Landscaping provides personalized landscaping services for residential and commercial properties. Give us a call at (586) 756-1145 to schedule a consultation for lawn and garden maintenance.